If you have or are currently experiencing lower back or sciatic nerve pain you are not alone. Lower back pain and sciatica are among the most common pain complaints across Canada, and unfortunately, most of us will experience it at one time or another.
Aside from age-related factors, the best way to avoid lower back pain and sciatica are to maintain a healthy weight, be as active as possible, practice proper lifting, and to avoid smoking. Smoking is especially detrimental to spinal health in many ways. It can weaken bones, exacerbate pain, damage spinal tissue, and slows healing.
Why Do I Have Lower Back Pain and Sciatica?
Muscle and ligament strain from improper lifting, repeated twisting, and pulling are some of the most common causes of lower back pain. There is also a higher prevalence of lower back pain in persons who are overweight and non-active.
Sciatica most commonly occurs when the discs used to cushion the lower spine wear down, or when a herniated disc compresses part of a nerve, this causes inflammation and pain to radiate down the back of the leg.
Regardless of the origin of your lower back pain or sciatica, our experienced staff at ProMotion Health Care in Barrie can help! Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Causes of Lower Back Pain and Sciatica
- Spinal Stenosis: Occurs when the spinal column begins to narrow, causing compression of the nerves. Pain may vary based on level of activity.
- Osteoarthritis: Pain and limited range of motion develop due to the deterioration of cartilage used to cushion the joints and discs.
- Spondylolisthesis: Pain radiates across the lower back when one vertebra slips forward over the vertebra below it. This condition may also cause muscle spasms in the back of the thighs.
- Muscle or Ligament Strain: Common in athletes. Pain may arise from repetitive movements or acute injury.
- Lordosis: Pain and discomfort are brought about from pressure on the spine when the curve of the lower back arches too far inward.
- Lumbar Spondylosis: Common among people over 50. Pain and discomfort arises when the discs used to cushion the lower spine begin to deteriorate from normal wear and tear.
This list is not all-inclusive. There are many other causes of lower back and sciatic pain that we have successfully treated at our clinic in Barrie. Contact us to schedule a consultation and find out how we can help!
Treatment Options for Lower Back Pain & Sciatica
- Chiropractic Care: Helps to align joints, which in turn increases mobility, reduces inflammation, and promotes healing.
Physiotherapy: Enhances range of motion, increases strength, improves balance, and alleviates pain.
- Acupuncture: Reduces swelling by increasing circulation and provides pain relief by stimulating the body’s natural analgesic response.
- Therapeutic Massage: Improves lymphatic and blood circulation which helps to decrease swelling and promote healing. Massage also stimulates the production of endorphins, the body’s natural pain reliever.
- Back Brace: The support and mild compression of a back brace reduces pressure on the lower back, prevents further damage and can also help to alleviate pain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Aside from age-related conditions, living a sedentary lifestyle, weight gain, improper lifting, and certain types of cancers and arthritis may significantly increase your chances of developing lower back and sciatic pain. Working a job that requires lots of twisting and repetitive movements can also raise your risk.
If lower back pain or sciatic pain aren’t alleviated from rest, if the pain becomes progressively worse, or if the pain and discomfort is constant and interferes with your daily activities, schedule an appointment at our clinic in Barrie today!
BOOK YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
10:00 – 17:00
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
10:00 – 19:00
12:00 – 16:00