This day in age, most of us find ourselves hunched over our computers, video games, or our phones, checking social media for countless hours every day, exponentially increasing our risks for developing neck or upper back due to improper posture and overuse.
Why Do I Have Upper Back and Neck Pain?
Although there are several medical conditions responsible for upper back and neck pain, one of the most common causes of pain and discomfort stems from sprains and strains from overuse and improper posture.
An acute injury to the muscles, tendons, and ligaments of these areas are also common causes of upper back and neck discomfort. Pain may also radiate to the shoulders and down the arms, causing numbness and tingling depending on its cause and severity.
If left untreated, pain in your neck and upper back can have a debilitating effect on your overall quality of life. If you are unable to fully engage in daily activities or are experiencing limited mobility due to upper back and neck pain, contact our clinic in Barrie and schedule a consultation today!
Causes of Upper Back and Neck Pain
- Kyphosis: Pain is brought on by an abnormal rounding of the spine by more than 40 degrees. Caused by age-related factors, improper spinal growth, or poor posture over time.
- Myofascial Pain: Muscle pain and spasms of the connective tissue result from overuse or trauma. The pain is described as a “deep ache”.
- Cervical Stenosis: More common in people over 50. Compression of the nerves on the spinal cord cause pain, stiffness, and weakness of the neck and arms.
- Whiplash: Occurs when there is a sudden and rapid, back and forth movement of the neck, generally created on impact during a motor vehicle accident.
- Migraine Headaches: Neck pain is commonly associated with these recurring headaches. Migraines are responsible for causing pulsating, moderate to severe pain, and sensitivity to light and sound.
- Sprains and Strains: Pain, muscle spasms, stiffness, and weakness may occur due to a fall, poor posture, or engaging in contact sports.
- Poor Posture: Common among office workers. Leaning forward or hunching the shoulders for extended periods of time places added pressure on the spine, neck, and ligaments causing pain.
This list is not all-inclusive. There are many other causes of upper back and neck pain that we have successfully treated at our clinic in Barrie. Contact us to schedule a consultation and find out how we can help!
Causes of Upper Back and Neck Pain
- Chiropractic Care: Helps to align joints, which in turn increases mobility, reduces inflammation, and promotes healing.
- Physiotherapy: Enhances range of motion, increases strength, improves balance, and alleviates pain.
- Acupuncture: Reduces swelling by increasing circulation and provides pain relief by stimulating the body’s natural analgesic response.
- Therapeutic Massage: Improves lymphatic and blood circulation which helps to decrease swelling and promote healing. Massage also stimulates the production of endorphins, the body’s natural pain reliever.
Frequently Asked Questions
Whiplash can be difficult to manage, and everyone responds differently to treatment, which is why we offer several different holistic modalities to be used alone or in collaboration to resolve whiplash pain.
If your pain is ongoing and unresolved by home remedies (ice pack, heat pack, rest), accompanied by numbness and tingling, or brought about by an acute injury, contact us to schedule a free consultation.
BOOK YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
10:00 – 17:00
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
10:00 – 19:00
12:00 – 16:00