Acupuncture is a form of alternative medicine that involves pricking the skin or tissues with needles. The goal of acupuncture is to alleviate pain and treat different physical, mental, and emotional conditions. You’ve probably heard of this traditional Chinese medicine technique or you might already have tried it yourself.
Now, the question is, what should you do and what should you avoid doing after you undergo an acupuncture treatment? This question is very important because you need to know how your body may react afterward. To boost the experience, it’s best to do the right thing. To avoid negating the treatment’s effects, you really need to know what you can and can’t do.
Clueless? Here are the dos and don’ts you should take note of after undergoing an acupuncture treatment:
What To Do
It won’t hurt to do what’s right after your acupuncture treatment ends. To maximize or optimize its effects, below are the important things that you need to do:
● Rest: Rest is essential after acupuncture. You don’t necessarily have to sleep or take a nap. You just need to relax and do absolutely nothing. Engaging in strenuous physical activities is a big no-no for now. The purpose of this is to allow you to recover physically and emotionally.
● Light Exercise: After a certain number of days, you can resume exercising. Exercise is fine, but light, gradual movements are what you need to engage in. By that, we mean, you can try walking, yoga, or other simple physical activities. Pushing your physical strength to the limits won’t help.
● Heat: You need to stay as warm as possible after undergoing an acupuncture treatment. This is because many pain conditions are caused by stagnation. To help eliminate the blockages, heat is essential. Ice slows down the healing process by keeping things stagnant.
● Good Food: The purpose of acupuncture is to release toxins. In most cases, toxins are consumed by the body and ought to be eliminated if you want to be physically healthy. So the best thing to do after an acupuncture treatment is to get proper nourishment.
What To Avoid
There are a few things that you need to avoid in order to reinforce the positive effects of acupuncture treatment. Here are some of those things:
● Alcohol and Coffee: When it comes to beverages, stay away from alcohol and coffee in the meantime. Why? First off, you need to stay hydrated as acupuncture causes toxins to be released from your system. Coffee and alcohol will only dehydrate you, which is counterproductive. Second, both can mess with your head given their contents. Coffee will keep you awake and consuming alcohol will make you drunk. Both will counteract the purpose of acupuncture, which is to bring you clarity and awareness.
● TV and Internet: What does acupuncture do? It serves to bring you a sense of balance, focus, and peace. Through acupuncture, your mind will be calm, and your body will have full equilibrium. The question is, what do the internet and TV do? The complete opposite of what acupuncture does. So in the meantime, stay away from these things.
If you’re looking for a chiropractor, get in touch with us today to see how we can help!