The Importance of Chiropractic Care after a car accident
If you get into a car accident, your first line of medical care will be a team of paramedics who will assess whether your injuries can be dealt with immediately or if you need to be rushed to a nearby hospital. If you have fractures, lacerations, or any internal injuries, you will certainly need further medical attention.
If you don’t have any major injuries but have minor ones, the paramedics will assess your condition. They will tell you if and when you can go home. It’s wonderful to walk away from a car accident without any serious injuries, but be prepared to still feel pain or minor discomfort in the days to come. You may not need to go to the hospital, but chiropractic care may help.
In the next section, we will talk about non-life-threatening injuries associated with car accidents and what chiropractic treatments can address these problems.
Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
In a car accident, it’s the impact per se that causes injury, whether it’s the front or rear end of the car that gets hit. The collision involves rapid changes in acceleration and deceleration. Even if your body is held in place by your seat belt, your head and neck might be affected. Perhaps you suffered from whiplash, which is a term associated with neck injuries. Here are the symptoms of whiplash:
● Neck pain and inflammation
● Arm pain, numbness, or tingling
● Headaches, nausea, and dizziness
● Lack of concentration or clarity of thought
● TMJ or jaw pain
● Mid or lower back pain or even spinal disc symptoms.
Chiropractic Treatments for Car Accident Injuries
If by some miracle of God you don’t have any serious injuries even after being in a car accident, you should still see a chiropractor to understand your condition, particularly if you do have minor injuries and whiplash, as mentioned above.
What does chiropractic care entail?
care is a healthcare profession that aims to identify and address problems with an individual’s musculoskeletal and nervous systems. That said, your chiropractor will be able to diagnose and treat such problems. The treatments can be done through manual adjustment and spinal manipulation.
How do you go about seeing a chiropractor? It all starts with scheduling a consultation. Your chiropractor will conduct a physical assessment to check if you have problems with your nerves, muscles, joints, and connective tissues of the spine. From there, your chiropractor can settle on a course of action based on your condition.
● Initial Diagnosis and Treatment – It is highly recommended that you remain immobile for 48-72 hours immediately after a car accident. Your chiropractor will most likely advise you to avoid moving too much since your body might be swollen and sensitive to pain. Chances are muscle spasms caused by an accident will cause greater compression and irritation of your joints, leading to more pain. Your chiropractor will advise you to rest or lie down during the first few days. This is to ease the postural strain felt around the neck and shoulders, helping to promote healing.
● Chiropractic Treatment – After the initial inflammatory stage, a patient will be allowed to resume normal movement. This will be permitted within a reasonable range and depend on the patient’s pain tolerance. During this period, you will have to submit to gentle and appropriate chiropractic adjustments. This can help reduce pain and restore normal function brought by whiplash-associated injuries. In due time, chiropractic healthcare will eventually lead to healing and recovery.
If you’re looking for chiropractic treatment, get in touch with us today! We’re happy to help.